Elder Akina

Elder Akina

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Week #55 The Cake!

Hazzit Everybody,     
     This past week was super, we had 3 baptisms on Saturday. Super cool and super spiritual experience. The baptism was packed, towards the end there wasn't any room to sit down. It's always good when the members come out to support.     
Baptism: October 31,  2015
Members who came to the baptism
     Yesterday I couldnt e mail, because it was Dia dos Finados, Day of the Dead. Everyone goes to the cemetery to visit their loved ones that have passed, so we had to take advantage of that and work. Our district set up a booth at the cemetery with pamphlets, dvds and everything. We did a bunch of contacts and it went super well. Turns out that all the other churches in the city had the same idea! There were about 20 churches there - - no joke. There was this one church that brought a 20 foot size cross and I literally thought they were going crucify someone. It was a battle - - but we were able to find some good potential investigators.     
Our District at the cemetery
     A couple days before the baptism, I was talking with a sister in our ward about the food, like for after the baptism. She was like,"Yeah i can do it, but I want to know if it's reimbursable". I was said, "I'm pretty sure it is, I will call the Bishop tonight and then call you back to let you know." She was said okay great. Well night comes and the Bishop wasn't answering his phone and he lives super far so we couldn't go to his house. So I called the sister back to explain I couldn't get ahold of the Bishop. She responded, "Well Elder I already bought the cake"! I was like, "Well how much was it?" and she says "140 reals"! I almost passed out! We hadn't even asked the Bishop yet, I explained. She was said, "Nooooo it's fine, just talk to him, he likes you guys!" I thought,"140 Reals! This cake better leave a message and say the closing prayer - - because 140 Reals for a cake is Ridiculos! The Bishop wasn't happy and neither was I because it comes out of the missionary work account of our ward, so that's less activities we get to do.     
     This week was good, I got mail from a ward family who's dad uses a cane. They sit in the front right in Sacrament meeting, the dad got surgery on his leg.  She wrote a really nice letter. (Annie Kuntz I think this is you!) Got the Gilberts' Halloween Candy, shoutout to the Gilberts!     
     I am fine if you want to come pick me up in Brazil, but you have to bring Carlie!
Iramo Laercio e mirela, Really nice member family.
My companion and I had to look after the nursery on Sunday - - cutest kids!
Working hard on another week, love you all tchau. Elder Akina