Elder Akina

Elder Akina

Monday, June 1, 2015

Week #33 8 Months Out

Hi,
     We have our happy couple getting married this week, then we will baptize them!  The documents for marriage in Brazil are about 300 Reals, so about 100 dollars.  That is a lot of money here - - it holds a lot of people back from getting baptized. 
     Back in Portal Bordon, Elder Fernandez just baptized 5 people this week  with his new companion!  He baptized all of our old investigators - -  I was super happy to get that news!     
     This week was cool, I got to bless my first house - - freaky stuff.  It rained like crazy this past week.  Winter is on it's way.  The nights are in the 40's, it is wonderful to have the nights cool off.  Today we are going to watch "Meet the Mormons" with an investigator and her family, should be sweet!
      My new area with 3 Brazilian Elders is helping me increase my cooking skills with local ingredients.  I can make Tapioca - - not the pudding.   We make a warm drink every morning.  My breakfast consists of this drink - - 2 cups and a carrot!  I'm addicted to Farofa, it is like this stuff you put over rice and beans and chicken and stuff!  Google it.  I'm learning to make a lot of stuff. 
Well, glad to see he still has his hops!  Crazy Elder!
     Didn't take many pictures this week, it was very busy.  I'll try to take a few more this coming week. 

Love you, Elder Akina

Side Note: In Brazil, where Farofa is particularly popular, typical recipes call for raw cassava flour to be toasted with butter, salt, sausage, olives, onions, garlic, hard boiled eggs and/or bacon until golden brown. It is an essential accompaniment to feijoada[1] and Brazilian barbecue. In Brazil, Farofa is also used in a stuffing for poultry and other dishes, usually containing raisins, nuts and/or finely chopped sweet fruits like apples and bananas.
Farofa