Elder Akina

Elder Akina

Monday, August 31, 2015

Week #46 Meet Elysses


Sunday lunches are the best!  Member on far left then:
Elder Beaton, Elder Akina, Elder Farnsworth and Elder Rodrigues
Hazzit Everyone,
     Got some good new and some bad news.  Bad news is Jessica did not get baptized this week, good news is we have a baptism coming up this Sunday!!  His name is Elysses, he is from Haiti and we met him in the coolest way.  Last P-day we were in the center and Elder Beaton and I went to go get churros at like this little churro stand.  We were waiting for the churros and this guy calls us from behind and asks us, "Tell me about this church".  He went to church yesterday in a suit!  That is the first investigator I have ever had in church with a tie on, let alone a suit!  We invited him to be baptized yesterday and he accepted.  His baptism is Sunday after church.  
Elder Akina, Elysses and Elder Rodrigues
The next picture I take of Elysses - - he will be in all white.
     Yesterday I ran into one of Brandon Payne's old companions that served with him in Curitiba, he's super chill.  Elder Rodrigues is his name, he lives close to us.  I was talking to him in the car, he asked me where I was from.  I told him my family's from Hawaii but we've been up in El Paso for a while now, he was like El Paso?  Like El Paso - - Texas?  I was like yeah why?  He said I had a companion from there, Elder Payne.  I said, was his name Brandon?  He was like - - that's it!!  I was like - -  bro I know that kid!  Ha - - ha small world!  He ended up marrying a girl he met on his mission, his wife is super chill too.  I took a pic with him, so if you could get it to Brandon that would be cool.  Tell Brandon that he's doing good. 
Elder Rodrigues, Brandon Payne's companion!
     We're excited to baptize this week.   Wednesday can't come fast enough - - I get you box and any other mail that has been sent!  Love you guys.  Elder Akina
 
Cidade Aracy
Excerpt from Elder Akina's birthday letter to Mom!  His box and gift arrived last p-day.
 
     We have this poster of Thomas S. Monson in our room above my bed.  He has this very neutral look on his face.  After  a long day - - when we get back to our house, I go into our room and I look at this picture.  Some days his face tells me I could have talked to more people or used my time better.  Other days I look at him and I can just feel him saying, "Thank you Elder Akina, this day of work was accepted by the Lord."  That is one of the best feelings I have on my mission.  Thank you for everything you have done for me Mom.  I love you lots.  Tchau.  Elder Akina
Wood plaque made for Mama!